The Estonian University of Life Sciences, Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences
Recognition status :
EAEVE European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education
RCVS Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
In 1848 Tartu Veterinary School was founded. In 1878 it was reorganized into Tartu Veterinary Institute. In 1919 the Veterinary Institute was incorporated in Tartu University as Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 1951 Estonian Agricultural Academy was founded and the faculty was transferred from Tartu University. In 1991 the Estonian Agricultural Academy was renamed Estonian Agricultural University. In 1997 there was a change in Estonian version of the name to restore the original name "Loomaarstiteaduskond". Beginning from 2005 the new structure was founded as Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences.